Where the tides of history crash into the shores of current events.
Podcasts reviewing history, famous personalities, and their impact on today's world.
Host: Barry Jacobsen
- The HUNDRED DAYS COMES TO A BLOODY END, AS NAPOLEON IS DEFEATED AT WATERLOO (Part 2)
- BELISARIUS AT DARAS: A STUDY IN THE USE OF INTERIOR LINES
- THE DEADLIEST BLOGGER LIST OF THE 25 GREATEST COMMANDERS OF THE MIDDLE AGES
- THE MYTH OF SPARTAN INVINCIBILITY IS DESTROYED AT THE BATTLE OF LEUCTRA
- THE DEADLIEST BLOGGER LIST OF THE 25 GREATEST COMMANDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD
Monthly Archives: January 2013
In 1204 a singular event occurred which shook the Western World: Constantinople, capital of the Eastern Roman (“Byzantine”) Empire, long the bastion of Eastern Christendom and bulwark against Islamic expansion, was captured and sacked. Not by its Muslim enemies; but … Continue reading
(For Part One, go here) SALADIN AND RICHARD In 1187, Saladin invaded the Kingdom of Jerusalem, after numerous provocations by over-zealous Crusader lords. He met and defeated the Kingdom’s army at the Battle of Hattin (also called the “Horns of … Continue reading
Though seldom used today, a centuries-old exclamation in our language is, “Son of a gun!” This term is used in a variety of ways reflecting very different emotions; from admiration and excitement, to mild annoyance, to a euphemism for the more offensive … Continue reading